Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

"U"topia

I am a huge fan of lettering. Fonts, scrapbook stickers, chipboard, paper mache, typography...I love lettering. A few years back, while at an acquaintance's house, I noticed her wall full of "G"'s. She smiled and referred to it as her "G-Spot."

Well, that did it. I had to lift this idea and incorporate it into something in my home.



Thus, my "U"topia was born. Wood, metal, fabric, vintage, handmade, storebought, you name it, it's up there. The collection has been growing for years. There's even one created as a sample for the art class that I teach to at risk youth.

 

I made the letter from Dixie cups, chipboard and packing tape. I got the inspiration from this tutorial. My very artistic daughter did the collage work.

My students have been making these architectural letters in class, and were even commissioned to make a custom word for a friend of mine! Here are some examples of their work:



For the school's Third Annual Peace Summit, some students are working on an Architectural Peace Sign, and the letters to spell out PEACE. A good use of the project, I think.



No comments:

Post a Comment